Use of Private Cars

Motor insurance for transporting Scouts to and from events in your own vehicle is not covered by The Scout Association’s policies.

Under United Kingdom law, the driver of a motor vehicle must hold suitable third party insurance (including indemnity to passengers), and the minimum levels of cover have to be provided by any motor insurer. As this is a statutory requirement, The Scout Association does not provide any cover to individuals in respect of their liability as car drivers, as this would be a pointless duplication of cover.

Scouting is usually classified as a social, domestic or pleasure activity and, as such, would be covered by most motor policies. However some insurers might have conditions around volunteer driving, or might want you to contact them to let them know if you do volunteer.

Information about using your own car for Scout activities can be found on the Unity (Scout Insurance Services) website, and the Association of British Insurers (ABI) website.

You will need to check with your own motor insurers to see if volunteer driving is covered under your policy.

The Scout Association’s Personal Accident and Medical Expenses policy will still cover members while being transported to and from Scouting activities.